Monday, October 31, 2011

Observations October 28

I observed my MicroAquarium for the second time October 28th.

Changes and Observations:

The water level in the MicroAquarium was lower, a result of evaporation. I added distilled water to replenish it. Additionally I spotted a small round solid in the center of the tank, a food pellet Dr. McFarland added to each aquarium this week.

Under a microscope, I observed a greater number of different microorganisms. The aquarium is much more active this week, than last. I noted many organisms not only in the top of the substrate and along the plant samples, but throughout the water.

Most prevalent were paramecia, nematodes, and annelids- an increased population of the species I observed last week. I also saw a greater frequency of cyclops in the water.

Species observed both last week and this week:

Stenostonum sp. 
- a flatworm
- found this week both in substrate and surrounding plant materials

Heterophrys sp.

Aelosoma sp.
-annelid found throughout the aquarium this week

Epalxis sp.
-Whereas these microorganisms were scarce last week, many more were observed near the substrate material.

Cyclops






No comments:

Post a Comment