Sunday, October 16, 2011

Exploring microorganism diversity from various water sources.

I assembled my MicroAquarium in three parts. I slid my sealed two-pane glass aquarium into a glass base, and loosely plastered on a top, to prevent evaporation.

My aquarium is filled with water from Tommy Schumpert Pond, Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge located on Kelly Lane in Knox Co. Tennessee. This pond is exposed to partial shade, and is filled by runoff into a sinkhole which lies below. Microorganism diversity in this pond has been shown to be relatively high. 
I filled my MicroAquarium with sediment, lower level water, mid-level water, and surface water from the Tommy Schumpert Pond sample. Additionally, I added small sections of both Amblestegium, collected from a Natural Spring in Carters Mill Park, Knox Co. Tennessee, and Utricularia gibba from Spain Lake in Sparta, White Co. Tennessee.


Initially, under a microscope, I observed movement of microorganisms in the water sample. Detailed observations of microorganism diversity to be taken next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment